manually cleaning print cartridges
If the printer is used in a dusty environment, a small amount of debris may
accumulate inside the case. This debris can include dust, hair, carpet, or clothing
fibers. When debris gets on the print cartridges and cradle, it can cause ink streaks
and smudges on printed pages. Ink streaking is easily corrected by manually cleaning
the cartridges and cradle.
gathering cleaning supplies
You will need the following items to clean the print cartridges and cradle.
Cotton swabs or other soft, lint-free material that will not stick to the cartridges
Be careful not to get
ink on your hands or clothing
as you clean.
preparing to clean
1. Press the
button to turn on the printer, then raise the printer cover.
The cradle moves to the center of the printer.
2. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the printer.
3. Remove the print cartridges and place them on a piece of paper with the
nozzle plate facing up.
Do not leave the print cartridges outside the printer for
more than 30 minutes.
cleaning the print cartridges and print cartridge cradle
1. Lightly moisten a cotton swab with distilled water.
2. Clean the face and edges of the first print cartridge with the swab, as shown in
the following illustration.
wipe the nozzle plate.
1. nozzle plate and ink nozzles 2. faces and edges of print cartridge 3. copper
Do not touch the print cartridge ink nozzles or copper
contacts. Touching these parts will result in clogs, ink failure, and
bad electrical connections.
3. Inspect the face and edges of the print cartridge for fibers.
Repeat steps 1 and 2 above if fibers are still present.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 for the second print cartridge.
5. Wipe the underside of the print cartridge cradle walls using clean, moistened
Repeat this process until no ink residue appears on a clean swab.
1. print cartridge cradle 2. print cartridge cradle walls
6. Insert the print cartridges and close the printer cover.
7. Connect the power cord to the back of the printer.
8. Press the
button to turn on the printer.
the print cartridges.
Repeat the cleaning procedure if ink streaks continue to appear on printed pages.